Multiple Fatalities Reported In Mass Shooting At Annapolis Newsroom.. Shooting Suspect Jarrod Ramos In Custody [video]

Multiple Fatalities Reported In Mass Shooting At Annapolis Newsroom.. Shooting Suspect Jarrod Ramos In Custody

via ZeroHedge/Tyler Durden

Update 2: The suspect in the deadly shooting at a Maryland newspaper on Thursday has been identified as 38-year-old Jarrod Ramos of Laurel, Maryland according to CBS News. He was reportedly carrying fake grenades, smoke bombs and flash bang devices in his backpack.

Jarrod Ramos, 38, is suspected in the fatal shooting of five people at a newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.

Krampf said officials discovered what they thought was an explosive device in the building, which has been “taken care of.” He said he didn’t expect to recover more devices.

Police said they have evacuated and cleared the building but are still continuing to process it for evidence. Over 170 people were safely escorted out of the building, Krampf said. They were brought to a re-unification center that had been set up at a nearby mall. –CBS News

Ramos had a long-running feud with the Annapolis Capital newspaper, according to the Baltimore Sun, citing law enforcement sources.

Continue reading this complete Update 2

***



Update 1: Despite his efforts to conceal his identity by “mutilating” his hands to destroy his own fingerprints, the suspect accused of killing 5 people in the newsroom of the the Capital Gazette has been identified as a 39-year-old Maryland man.

He was identified using facial recognition technology, and local authorities are executing a search warrant on his home, NBC News reported, citing multiple senior law enforcement officials. And in a report that echoed the last assault on an American journalist – where a disgruntled former employee murdered one of his former colleagues on camera at a CBS affiliate in Virginia – CNN said the shooter had “previous interactions” with the newspaper.

No other information – such as his name – has been released or reported.

* * *

In a second briefing giving at 8 pm ET Thursday, Krampf said the shooting was a “targeted attack on the Capital Gazette.” He added that threats against the paper had been made over social media, possibly by the suspect, though the threats didn’t appear to have been directed at a specific individual. The acting police chief also refuted reports about the shooter mutilating his fingerprints, as well as rumors that the shooter was identified using facial-recognition technology (those reports were brought to the public by NBC and CNN, respectively). Krampf confirmed that the suspect used a shotgun during the attack as he stormed the front entrance of the newsroom.

“We have no knowledge at all that he was targeting anyone specific at the Capital,” but recent threats indicating violence had been made on social media against the paper in general, Krampf said.

He also reminded reporters that many members of the department have personal relationships with the reporters at the paper.

“We interact with the Capital newspaper daily. We have friends at the Capital newspaper. We speak with the men and women at this paper daily. We’re here, we’re invested and we’re going to get this investigation right, and we’re going to come back and give you credible immigration,” Krampf said.

The police said they don’t anticipate holding another conference until Friday morning.

Unconfirmed reports from NBC identified 38-year-old Jarrod Ramos, who unsuccessfully tried to sue the Capital Gazette for defamation in 2012 as the shooter. A story published in the Gazette about the case showed that it made it all the way to the state’s second-highest court, which upheld an earlier decision to dismiss. During the case, Ramos represented himself. The motivations for the lawsuit weren’t made clear.

***

Fox News Video insert by TLB

***

5 Killed In Annapolis Newsroom Shooting, Gunman “White Male, In His 20s” In Custody

Five people have been killed and several others were “gravely injured” during a shooting Thursday afternoon in the newsroom of the Capital Gazette, according to Anne Arundel County Acting Police Chief William Krampf.

Krampf said during a press briefing Thursday evening that the shooter is in custody, but declined to offer any information about his identity, or the type of weapon used. The shooter was described as a “white male in his 20s” and several media outlets report that he used a shotgun during the attack.

While thousands of people offered their condolences on Twitter, Phil Davis, a Capital Gazette crime reporter who was in the building at the time of the shooting, offered some of the first information about the shooting in a series of tweets sent while he was waiting to be interviewed by police.

“Gunman shot through the glass door to the office and opened fire on multiple employees. Can’t say much more and don’t want to declare anyone dead, but it’s bad,” Davis wrote on Twitter as he waited to be interviewed by police. “There is nothing more terrifying than hearing multiple people get shot while you’re under your desk and then hear the gunman reload.”

***

Update 2: ABC7’s Brad Bell reports that multiple sources confirmed a shooter was taken into custody and that a shotgun was involved. A reunification center for families has been opened at the Lord & Taylor at Westfield Annapolis mall.

Some people have begun to point fingers at pundit Milo Yiannapolous, who told The Observer “I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight”

Nathan Lean@nathanlean

Yesterday, Milo Yiannapolous urged people to shoot and kill journalists. Today, multiple journalists at the Capital Gazette newspaper in #Annapolis were murdered.


Police in Baltimore responded to an active shooter incident at the Capital Gazette newspaper offices in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The building is being evacuated while offciers continue to search for more shooters, while one suspect has been reportedly apprehended according to Annapolis Police Lt. Timothy Seipp.
Video update…. [TLB]

Continue reading update and from earlier

(TLB) published this story and feed from ZeroHedge as compiled by Tyler Durden.

••••

The Liberty Beacon Project is now expanding at a near exponential rate, and for this we are grateful and excited! But we must also be practical. For 7 years we have not asked for any donations, and have built this project with our own funds as we grew. We are now experiencing ever increasing growing pains due to the large number of websites and projects we represent. So we have just installed donation buttons on our main websites and ask that you consider this when you visit them. Nothing is too small. We thank you for all your support and your considerations … TLB

••••

Follow TLB on Twitter @thetlbproject

The views expressed here belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect our views and opinions.

TLB has other above the fold articles, videos and stories available by clicking on “HOME” at the top of this post. Never miss a new post, sign up for E-Mail alerts at the bottom of the Home page and get a link dropped right to your in-box.

TheLibertyBeacon.com contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the provisions of "fair use" in an effort to advance a better understanding of political, economic and social issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than "fair use" you must request permission from the copyright owner.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*