(CNSNews.com) – The special Accountability Review Board set up by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to investigate the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, confirmed that there was nothing “unusual” taking place outside the mission in the hours before the attack, that there was no protest, and that the attack started suddenly when security cameras detected dozens of men, many of them armed, swarming through one of the gates of the compound.
The board’s report, released Tuesday, also says that the U.S. mission in Benghazi was in communication with Washington, D.C., as the attack was unfolding.
Despite the fact that the eyewitnesses interviewed by the Accountability Review Board said there was no protest, and the scene was caught by security cameras, and the mission was in communication with Washington almost instantly, U.S. government officials, including then-CIA Director David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice would suggest days later that there had been a protest.
According to Rep. Devin Nunes (R.-Calif.), who serves on the House intelligence committee, Petraeus told that committee in closed testimony on Sept. 14 that he believed what had happened in Begnhazi on Sept. 11 arose out of a spontaneous reaction to an anti-Muslim YouTube video.
A set of unclassified talking points was subsequently drafted by Petraeus’s CIA and used by Amb. Rice when she appeared on television programs on Sunday, Sept. 16. These talking points said that “currently available information” suggested the attack in Benghazi had arisen from a spontaneous demonstration.